Harmony Day reflections

What a fantastic day we had!  Harmony Day was filled with lots of fun activities, performances, food, learning and – HARMONY.

The colour of Harmony Day is orange so we got to wear orange or outfits that represented the different cultures we come from.

During the morning we got to watch an Italian performance where the actors wore big masks and acted really funny.  The story was about a man who wanted a girl to fall in love with him so he was going to give her a magic pie to eat but the bad guy ate it instead.

This is what some of us thought about the performance:

“It was so funny”. – Jackson

“It was so cool”. – Torrey

“They were clumsy”. – Olivia

“They changed costumes”. – Hayley

“They were speaking Italian”. – Gloria

Italian Performance - so funny!

Italian Performance – so funny!

Watching the Italian performance.

Watching the Italian performance.

After the performance we got to go around and do different activities like soccer, dancing, flag making, going on a treasure hunt, learning different languages on the computer, boomerang making, getting our hair spray painted orange and learning about different countries from parents who have lived there.  After the activities we  went back to our classrooms to talk about the different cultures at Melton West.  We got to show the different countries we come from and how our cultures are special by decorating foot prints and country flags.

Chaise is colouring in the flag of Australia.

Karlia and Leilani both come from New Zealand.

Lourdes' family comes from Australia.

Lourdes’ family comes from Australia.

Gloria comes from Italy and Xavier comes from Australia.

After all of our hard work colouring, we got to try foods from different countries.  We had food from Italy, Crotia, Malta, Australia and the United States of America.  We thought the food was “delicious” and “tasty”.

Look at all that yummy food!

Look at all that yummy food!

At the end of the day we had our usual school assembly but with lots of multicultural performances like the singing of the Harmony Day song and listening to stories that kids had written about their family cultures and traditions.  The only sad part about Harmony Day was that we didn’t get to perform our Italian song that we had been practising all week because it started to rain.  But that is ok because that just means we have more time to pracise and decorate our masks.  Our principal said we could do it during Term 4 – so stay tuned.

Overall, we had a great Harmony Day!  Here are some of the comments about the day:

“Today was a very fun day from Harmony Day”. – Hayley

“I went to the dance room and we did the Cha Cha”. – Charylze

“It was a very fun day”. – Marlee

“I went in the ICT room and I made a picture for Harmony Day”. – Emily

“Today was the best day of school”. – Torrey

“Today I learnt about different cultures and some words in Chinese”. – Shiloh

“Today we had hair spray”. – Karlia

“Today we played soccer”. –  Xavier

Rita, Shiloh and Emily showing their country flags proudly.

Gloria and Marlee showing where they come from.

Showing off their flags; Olivia, Hayley and Charlyze.

8 thoughts on “Harmony Day reflections

1. Thanks for this great blog post, 1/2B – you’ve written about all the things that I enjoyed most about Harmony Day too! I didn’t get to have my hair sprayed orange but I did get to spray student’s hair and I really liked spraying stripes to make them look like tigers!

I also loved it that I got to come and visit the Grade 1/2s to sample some of the delicious food that you had all brought in – yum!

I’m really looking forward to your assembly performance later on in the year and I shall cross my fingers for no more rain on assembly days!

2. I like the cultural dresses in the photos. Olivia Hayley and Charlyze are my friends and its great to see them on the blog.

3. I really liked Harmony Day because we got to see all different coltures also have a taste of other peoples food in there coltures.